THREE family members have died in a suspected case of food poisoning in Gwanda.
Matabeleland South provincial police spokesperson, Chief Inspector Philisani Ndebele said Jotham Sibanda (64) from Matshiye Village died on Saturday while his two grandchildren aged six and eight died on Thursday and Friday last week.
He said Jotham’s wife Mrs Khohliso Sibanda (58) prepared food for her family on May 7 and they all fell ill resulting in the death of her husband and two grandchildren.
I can confirm that we recorded a case where a man and his two children aged six and eight years died in a suspected case of food poisoning. On May 7 in the morning Mrs Khohliso Sibanda prepared food which she ate with her husband and their three grandchildren aged six, eight and 12 years,” he said.
“On the same day at around 11AM they started vomiting and started suffering from diarrhea. They lost consciousness and were ferried to Gwanda Provincial Hospital where they were admitted. The condition of the child aged six worsened and he was further referred to Mpilo Hospital where he died on Thursday while admitted.”
Chief Insp Ndebele said the eight-year-old child died on Friday at home after he had been discharged from hospital while Jotham Sibanda died on Saturday at his home after he had also been discharged from hospital. He said the matter was reported to the police who attended the scene.
Chief Insp Ndebele said investigations were underway to determine the source of poisoning. He appealed to members of the public with information that could assist in the investigations to contact the police.-State media